09 June 2015

Quarter Sunflower Square - Front


Front of a Sunflower for my pincusion!

I used fingering-weight cotton yarn and a 2mm hook. The finished size is 3.5 inches square. If you use a larger 5.5mm hook and worsted weight yarn, it would be perfect for a small throw pillow!

Here is the front of the pincushion:





This pattern is inspired by Joyce Lewis's Crocodile Flower



This pattern uses special stitches:
Even Inc = sc in the first st, sc2tog over the same and next sts, sc in the second st.




Center:
   In brown.
Row 1:  Ch 4, 4 dc in the 4th chain from the hook. Turn. (5 dc)
Row 2:  Ch, sc in the first st, [(tr, sc) in the next st] repeat 4 times. Turn. (5 sc, 4 tr)
   Note: Make sure the last repeat is in the 3rd chain, not around the chain.
Row 3:  Ch, sc in the first st, [skip the next tr, (sc, tr, sc) in the next st] repeat 3 times, skip the last tr, sc in te last st. Turn. (8 sc, 3 tr)
   Note: You will have to poke the tr bobbles to the front. It’s easiest to do before you tighten the second sc in the st.
Row 4:  Ch, sc in thr first st, (sc, tr, sc) in the next st, [skip the next tr, (sc, tr) in the next st, sc] repeat twice, skip the next tr, (sc, tr, sc) in the next st, sc in the last st. (10 sc, 4 tr)
   Tie off. (Fig. 1)

Petal Foundation:
   In yellow.
Row 5:  Cast on with a sc in the first st, sc in the next st, (ch 5, sl st in the first ch), skip the next tr, [Even Inc, (ch 5, sl st in the first ch), skip next tr] repeat 3 times, sc 2. Turn.
  (13 sc, 4 petal loops)
Row 6:  Ch 10, sl st in the 6th ch from the hook, skip the first sc, tr in the next st, [ch, skip the loop, tr, (tr, ch 6, sl st in the side of the last tr (see Fig. 2), tr) in the next st, tr] repeat 3 times, ch, skip the loop, (tr, ch 6, sl st in the side of the last tr) in the next st, tr. Turn.
  (16 tr, 5 petal loops)
Row 7:  Ch 6 (counts as first tc and ch-2), [skip the next loop and st, 2 tr in the ch-sp, (ch 6, sl st in the side of the last tr), 2 tr in the same ch-sp, ch 2, skip the next st] repeat 4 times, tr in the 4th ch of the turning chain. (18 tr, 4 petal loops)
   Tie off. (Fig. 3)

Background:
   In blue.
Row 8:  On the right side, cast on with a sc in the 4th ch, sc 3 times in the ch-sp, sc, ch 2, skip the next (st, loop, st), hdc, (hdc 3, dc) in the next ch-sp, dc, ch 2, skip the next (st, loop, st), tr, (tr 2, ch, dtr, ch, tr2) in the next ch-sp, tr, ch 2, skip the next (st, loop, st), dc, (dc, hdc 3) in hte next ch-sp, hdc, ch 2, skip the next (st, loop, st), sc, sc 3 in the last ch-sp, sc in the last st. Turn.
Row 9:  Ch, sc 3, sc2tog, 2 sc in the ch-sp, sc 5, hdc, 2 hdc in the ch-sp, hdc, dc 2, skip the ch, (2 dc, tr, 2 dc) in the corner dtr, skip the ch, dc 2, hdc, 3 hdc in the ch-sp, hdc, sc 5, 2 sc in the ch sp, sc2tog, sc 3. Turn.
Row 10:  Ch 3 (counts as the first dc), skip the first st, dc across, (2 dc, tr, 2 dc) in the corner, dc across. Turn.
Row 11:  Ch, sc in each st across, (sc, hdc, sc) in the corner, sc in each st across. Turn.
   Note: Don’t forget to sc in the 3rd ch of the turning chain (the first st from Row 10)!
   Repeat Rows 10 and 11 at least 1 more time (as shown), or until background is the size you want.
   Tie off. (Fig. 4)

Petals:
   In yellow.
Row 12:  Sl st into the side of the square at the top of Row 7, [6 tr in the loop, ch, flatten and stretch the petal, sl st into the background, ch, sl st in the top side of the last tr, 6 tr in the same loop, sc in between sts in the ch-3 from R7] repeat 4 times with a sl st in the side of the square at Row 8 after the last petal. Tie off.
Row 13:  Sl st in the first loop of Row 6, ch 4, sl st into the background at the edge of the square, ch, sl st in the closest ch to the hook, (tr, 5 dc) in the loop, [sc in between sts in the ch-2 from Row 6, (5 dc, tr) in the next loop, ch, flatten and stretch the petal, sl st in the background, ch, sl st in the top side of the last tr, (tr, 5 dc) in the loop] repeat 3 times, sc in between sts in the ch-2 from Row 6, (5 dc, tr) in the next loop, ch, flatten and stretch the petal, sl st in the background at the edge of the square, ch 3, sl st in the loop. Tie off.
Row 14:  Sl st in the side of the square at the base of Row 5, [5 dc in the loop, flatten and stretch the petal, sl st in the base of the loop from Row 7, ch, sc in the side of the last hdc, 5 cd in the same loop, sc in the middle of the base of the 4 tr from Row 6 ] repeat 4 times with a sl st in the side of the square at the base of Row 5 after the last petal.
   Tie off. (Fig. 5)

Block the square by wetting thoroughly with cold water, squeeze (but do not twist or wring!) out excess water. Pin using a ruler and a square to a foam pad or spare mattress and allow to dry! (Fig. 6)

Continue to the back of the sunflower...



Corrected 12 June 2015.










Fig. 1:   Front and Back with the center bobbles complete.



Fig. 2:   Slip stitch in the side of a treble crochet.



Fig. 3:   Petal Foundation complete.



Fig. 4:   Background complete.



Fig. 5:   Petals added.



Fig. 6:   Blocking to square the sides.

25 comments:

  1. This perspective is awesome from front and back! I could see doing an afghan of these. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have linked you here at my free found pattern on FB https://www.facebook.com/jennekevm?ref=hl


    wowwwww ♥ jenneke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this -- actually all of your patterns. I plan to make this in thread as a magnet. It will be a "nothing gift" for a friend who loves sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped at the petal foundation. It makes no sense to me. Row 6...Ch 10, sl st in the 6th ch from the hook, skip the first sc, tr in the next st, [ch, skip the loop, tr, (tr, ch 6, sl st in the side of the last tr (see Fig. 2), tr) in the next st, tr] repeat 3 times, ch, skip the loop, (tr, ch 6, sl st in the side of the last tr) in the next st, tr. Turn. I've read it many times and I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie,

      I would be happy to help. What part doesn't make sense? You are making a series of ch-6 loops in between treble crochets. Later you will go back and make petals around the loops. If you can be a little more specific about what doesn't make sense, I can provide more help.

      ~Suvi

      Delete
  5. I can't get it either. Was lost from the beginning (the center section), disappointed cuz this is lovely and I was planning to make a pouch for my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sunny,

      Can you be a little bit more specific about what part doesn't make sense? I would love to help but I need a little bit more to go by.

      ~Suvi

      Delete
    2. Regarding the same Row 6...what doesn't make sense to me (and maybe it's because I'm new to crocheting) is when it says, to just "ch". It says it elsewhere, as well. HOW many do I chain?

      Delete
    3. Hello Diann,
      If I do not give a number of stitches after writing ch/sc/dc/etc, then I always mean to make 1 stitch of that type. I find it redundant to write "ch 1".
      ~Suvi

      Delete
  6. I am a newbie. I am in love with this sunflower. It is going to be the centerpiece of my queen size blanket. I have 70+ differing sunflower granny squares already completed. Can you tell my the name of the stitch used to make the center? I looked up the bobble stitch but it doesn't like quite the same as yours. I am using youtube to learn everything. I am learning how to read diagrams but the written directions are beyond be right now. Thanks for any help you can give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joy,
      The center is created by alternating treble crochet (US terms) with single crochet. The treble will pop to one side of the square creating a sort of mini-bobble.
      ~Suvi

      Delete
  7. I take it that this particular project is written in American terms?
    I see TR .... is it really a TR?
    (just that a lot of us are used to seeing British terms, which in translation
    a TR means a DC)

    Center:
    all the other rows say Turn.
    Nothing at the end of Row 1.
    So ... did you omit it by accident or did you actually mean no turning at end of Row 1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Megan,
      All of my patterns are written in US terms. I use the abbreviation TR for treble crochet.
      And yes, I forgot to write turn at the end of Row 1. I will edit it right now. You are stitching the square in back and forth arcs to create the quarter flower.
      ~Suvi

      Delete
  8. hola podras sacar endiagrama para otros nos es mas facil gracias

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate to sound dumb (although it won't be my first time) but I am confused as to the "back of the sunflower". Is it supposed to be reversable? Is is just in case you want to show the back, too? I just can't figure out if it is necessary or an addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No question is ever dumb! The front and back sunflower squares were designed be sewn together to make a pincushion or pillow (like this). Of course, you can use them any way you would like!

      Delete
  10. I'm so not good at patterns, I've been6crocheting for30 years, and still can't seem to get them. I see I'm not the only 1. Maybe you6could to a video, because I love this flower, just can't figure out the6direction. Ty Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Second the request for a video! Love the unique angle, but (like others) keep getting stuck on step 6--the 'skip the loop' and crochet into the side is confusing. But this design is so great, I will persevere! Thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there I am 60 years old and was taught to crochet by my aunt when I was 12 years old. I was taught the stitches by the height they give. starting at chain stitch, then slip stitch, then double crochet, half treble, treble, double treble etc I do not know what a single crochet compares to could you give me your ladder of stitches in height so that I can refer to my known stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathleen,
      It sounds like you are using British stitch terminology. My patterns are written in US stitches where a US sc = British dc. Likewise a US hdc = British htc, US dc = British tc, etc.

      Delete
  13. Hi me again. your row 3..... if you repeat the bobble stitch 3 times then you will have 4 Tr not 3 as you state. surely you must only REPEAT twice. I am trying to dissect your picture and if I am correct then the first round of bobbles gives one 4, the second 3 and the last 4 Am I correct???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I say "(stitches) repeat XX times" I mean to say do the stitches in the parentheses a total of XX times, not do them once then repeat XX more times. So, you bobble a total of 3 times, not 4.

      Delete
  14. Hi, I realy love this pattern, but I'm not able to pass the center. do you think is possible a video. I'm a beginner and would help me a lot :) Elena

    ReplyDelete